- What is Sander's most engaging example of powerful diction? Explain why you think so. (I'm looking at you, Kiana.)
- Note 2 examples of Sander's use of parallel structures.
- Consider the organization of the essay, noting particularly the section about the gerbils (paragraphs 17-25). How does that section contribute to the overall effect?
- Discuss the significance of the gerbil section to the conclusion, which immediately follows.
- Read paragraph 20. Explain the purpose of Sander's reference to the grand events included there.
- Explain the rhetorical effect of the allusions that Sanders includes in paragraph 25.
- Read carefully the final sentence of the essay. Discuss the effectiveness of concluding with this selection of details.