- How would you describe the speakers attitude in paragraph 2?
- In what ways is the third paragraph the center of the essay (apart from its being the third in a series of five)?
- Why does the speaker lay down the pencil at the end of paragraph 4?
- Woolf's style in this essay might be described as discursive, with longer, complex sentences predominating. Yet she uses a few brief, simple sentences. Identify two and discuss their impact.
- Trace the emergence of combat imagery in the essay.
- Woolf does not explicitly state a thesis, but she could be said to have an implicit one. How would you state it?
- Describe the speaker's attitude toward death in this essay.
Don't forget! Friday is Grammar Day! Whoo hoo! Booyah! Yipppee! Do pages 167ff (the grammar section) of Chapter 4 on "The Appositive".